Adrian Leones.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

.:OBJECTIFIED [TASK 2WO]:.

oNE hOUR To wATCH this videO. Firstly, I thought, Double-U-Tee_eff, waste of time. Haha daaaaaaam was I wrong. At the end, I was heavily inspired, felt so keen to pick up a pen and start designing (*cough* studio work). “A central goal in design is to create an appropriate environment where people feel good”. Society, consumers buy to feel good in many different ways. They buy to make their life easier. They buy to increase their self esteem. They buy to get the latest product out there. So designers have to design to fulfill these kinds of needs. However, there is more to it than that I reckon. I believe design is much more than just designing to make things in life easier. When I’m out there in the field, I want to do so much more, I want to change the world, not simply design for a company to get a quick buck so that someone out there can just buy an object that’ll last what probably one or so years and then just replace it. This is also considered in the video that “focusing on what’s now or very next is that it’s not very forever”.


The video provided a variety of designers giving their input on their own idea of what design is and how it relates to the people their designing for. Which got me thinking, asking questions like why I like design, what interests me about it, what I’m really designing for or how can I impact the world. It also widened my views as a designer that I’m designing objects that will be used in society, a lot of thoughts come to mind. Do I design to give a specific reaction or leave it to the consumer to decide. “Our real audience is ourselves”. Consumers buy objects that means a lot to them, which I highly agree on. So if I can design to draw the consumer due to the meaning I can portray. Then maybe my relationship in society will be sweet.

0 comments: